Thursday, July 9, 2009

you can call me....really!


Since when did it become socially acceptable to text in lieu of a phone call? Before I go into full rant mode, I must admit that there are some undeniable benefits to texting. Text messages allow you to reach someone with out the intrusion of a phone call. Texting can allow you to send useful information, IE directions, contact information etc. Furthermore, texting allows you to avoid having to have unnecessary lengthy conversations.

Now, all of these benefits can work in friendships, business ventures and even in "seasoned" romantic relationships. However, I do not think sending text messages in lieu of a phone call is appropriate for new romantic interests/connections. Nothing irks me more than receiving a series of texts from someone I've recently met. Send a text to say it was nice meeting me...that's cool. You can even send a text to test the waters..."are you busy?". But do not try and hold a conversation or "get to know me" via text message.

I could care less about your unlimited text messaging package. I don't have one and even if I did, it would STILL annoy me to have to take time to try and conduct a whole conversation, you know an EXCHANGE of ideas in limited amount of characters. That would be like trying to familiarize yourself with someone on twitter. Sounds crazy doesn't it? Well that's how silly attempting to carry out full on conversations via text messaging sounds to me.

I have to say that whenever a man tries to converse with me via text messaging, I wonder if this behavior masks some sort of issue/baggage. I mean, are you incapable of carrying on a normal telephone conversation? Do you have difficulty formulating your thoughts, communication challenged? Is it that you NEED the unlimited response time to come up with something clever to text? Whatever it is, know that it's not cute. Please refrain from soley sending text messages when trying to get to know someone.

The art of conversation can not be lost completely.

1 comment: