Thursday, July 9, 2009

A girl with a dream.


I don't talk about my aspirations much outside of close friends and family. I recently decided to branch out. Why not? At the end of the day all anyone can tell you is yes or no. But, their answer can't stop you from dreaming big.

This was a pretty significant birthday for me in '09. In the short span of 7 days before my birthday, I got into my first car accident ever and my car was totaled. Thank God that I wasn't totaled. I walked, rolled away in an ambulance to later be released from the hospital with only bruising to show for the whole ordeal. Two days later, I received a call from the Oprah show offering me tickets to a taping. Anyone who knows anything about the Oprah show KNOWS how difficult it is to get tickets to the show.

This was obviously a pleasant surprise and truly a blessing. I went to the taping on 4/8/09, a mere 3 days before my birthday. That chance attendance changed my life. I've always admired Oprah. I always say..love her or hate her, the accomplishments that she's made as a black woman in America are unprecedented. She's an inspiration to many regardless of your profession. I grew up aware of her, and inspired by her to pursue a career in media.

In short, she's been my "shero" and I got the chance to meet her. A chance that I never saw coming. I think somehow along the way my dreams got deferred. Something happened on 4/4/09 (car accident) and 4/8/09 (chance meeting) culminating with an epiphany on my birthday 4/11/09. I asked myself; What am I waiting for? I decided to dust of my dreams. I've been actively persuing them ever since. I must admit I'm a happier person for it. I write this blog to encourage you to never stop chasing your dreams. They really can come true. Oprah hasn't see the last of the kid. I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment