Wednesday, July 8, 2009

New Orleans 7/2009


I had an awesome opportunity to go to New Orleans, Louisiana for the annual Essence Fest this year. I had only been to N.O. once before several years ago, prior to the havoc and tragedy caused by hurricane Katrina. I was really excited to go back and see the city back on it's feet thriving.

I must say that I was initially impressed with the how the city looked when I first arrived. Mind you I had lodging in the downtown/french quarters area. I did not venture outside of this area. I realize that it did not sustain the bulk of the damage caused by the hurricane and it's an area where wealthy affluent people tend to reside.

I immediately noticed a strong presence of N.O.P.D officials and monitoring devices. I thought, "this is just for the increased traffic due to the Essence Fest attendees". As the weekend progressed on, I began to think that the people who remained where dealing with some sort of oppression. I have no numbers on how many residents came back after the hurricane or how many stayed in their new cities. What I did see was a large group of seemingly wounded people. You could see it in their eyes. It was heart wrenching.

I applaud the organizers of the Essence Fest for coming back to New Orleans. The Festival brought a much needed stream of revenue to the city. I hated to see so much emphasis on the night life though. Always somewhere to go and drink or see strippers. You could still see some of the remaining damage from the hurricane even in the affluent French Quarter. I promise you, this was not my imagination...I thought I smelled a faint stench that lingered silently haunting the super dome as a reminder of the anguish that many people suffered there trying to survive during the aftermath of the natural disaster.

While we were dining at a restaurant on Bourbon street....it began to rain. After about only 5 minutes of rain, I looked out the window of the restaurant and noticed that the streets were flooding. I actually was scared for a second. I thought to myself, "this water irrigation issue has still gone unresolved". I wonder would the cost to build more efficient levys outweigh all the restoration costs incurred after the hurricane.

It seems like living in N.O. is still a gamble. I just don't understand why in 2009 the U.S. can't find a way to better equip the citizens of Louisiana against the occurrence of natural disasters. If we can mobilize in a matter of days to help victims of a Tsunami 1/2 a world over...why can't we pool our resources to preserve all of the history and rich culture that is still fighting to survive in New Orleans?

This was supposed to be a happy blog about eating a 'Po Boy sandwich for a friend who couldn't be there (the food was great). But I just couldn't front with a sappy blog after observing the people of New Orleans trying still to rebuild a life for themselves.

1 comment:

  1. Well stated. I did want to hear more about those pics you posted though (tee hee). Them babes weren't playin' about gettin' their grip!! Maybe more revenue will come from the next Hookers at the Point series, cuz that was a lot. Glad you had fun and more importantly, that a voice has been heard re: the lack of attention "us" continue to get. Surely my congressman is sick of my once weekly, then monthly, now bi-annual letters of anguish on behalf of Louisiana's "lost, not found".

    ReplyDelete