Thursday, July 9, 2009

Steve McNair (God Rest his Soul)


I was so consumed with grieving over the loss of Michael Jackson that I barely stopped to notice the passing of former NFL player Steve McNair. I don't follow the NFL much unless there's something worth wile going on with my home town Chicago Bears. Today, I logged into yahoo and saw a link to a story about Steve McNair's untimely death. I clicked on it to find out who this man was and why he died so young.

To my utter and complete shock, I found out he wasn't just a mere NFL player, In 13 NFL seasons, Steve McNair won a league MVP award and led the Tennessee Titans to a Super Bowl. He had an impressive run with the Baltimore Ravens as well. Steve McNair is one of three quarterbacks to pass for more than 30,000 yards and rush for more than 3,500 yards. Alledgedy, there were talks of him taking advantage of coaching opportunities with the NFL. Aside from all his accolades as a player, he certainlty had a bright future ahead of him and continued success in his industry.

More importantly, he was a husband and a father, someone's son! The first story I clicked on featured a picture of Steve McNair and his wife looking on at him with love and adoration in her eyes. I was overcome with heart-felt sympathy for the loved ones that were left behind due to this tragic and senseless loss of life. Apparently, Steve had a mistress...this disturbed young woman decided to murder him and then take her own life. She was only 20 years old. I had to ask myself, what on earth could have been so horrid in her life to end his and hers leaving so many innocent people behind to grieve the loss?

I am in no way writing this blog entry to pass judgement on the young woman or on Steve McNair for that matter. I just have to say.....that as sad as this whole situation is, it could have been avoided by these two people and perhaps the people closest to them making better life choices. No matter what you do in life, know that what's done in the dark will eventually come to light. It may not always be as tragic and horrific a reveal as the demise of Steve McNair and his mistress. However, I can assure you that if what you're doing could potentially harm others, the discovery will not be pleasant.

I admonish us all to constantly think of our loved ones. To remember that sometimes our actions can have consequences and can gravely affect their well being. Living a life of lies and secrecy is not living life at all. May God bless Steve McNair's wife and children and the host of others that were left behind to grieve this senseless loss. May God have mercy on the young woman's soul who chose to take a life and end her own. God grant all family, friends and loved ones directly affected by this tragedy the serenity to move forward despite the undoubted pain they must be feeling.

Below is a link to a story high lighting the details of this tragedy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-mcnairkilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

No comments:

Post a Comment