Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Rest in Peace Beloved Michael Joseph Jackson

My Mother said to me today: "I finally understand what people felt when Elvis died, He didn't even have half of the reach in his career as Michael Jackson did. Michael was an international star who somehow managed to personally touch us all. It feels like I've lost a family member"

I echo her sentiment as I begin my blog with a tribute to the late and great Michael Jackson. My very first memory of MJ was his thriller video. Now to give you some back story, you have to understand that my Mother was very protective of me and monitored the type of entertainment I was exposed to. This meant that I usually had to sneak and watch/listen to secular entertainment as a child/teen.

I remember this night vividly, we were at a family friend's home. My mother was talking with the adults and I was playing with the children ranging in age from infants to I guess about 18+ or so. At any rate...I consulted the release date for the video (short film). It was December 1983. I was 4...and perhaps a quarter...no where near 5 yet. I VIVIDLY remember that video. It scared me and intrigued me at the same time.

This was the beginning of my love affair with Michael Jackson's music. Although I never got the chance to see him perform live, I literally grew up listening to this man. One of my co-workers said: "I feel that the passing of Michael Jackson has affected so many people so deeply because this man literally provided the sound track to the lives of 3 whole generations and counting." I couldn't have explained the depth of my admiration and respect for MJ any better.

MJ the performer touched many lives by giving the gift of beautiful music. MJ the humanitarian improved the quality of life for many by being selfless and giving of himself more than any other celebrity as was stated today at his memorial service. MJ the person, loved others more than he loved himself. He was and will forever be the eternal child. His loving and giving heart is an example of how we should strive to be better humanitarians. Let us follow his example and love one another as Christ loved us. Let us start today because tomorrow may be to late.

Finally, let us never forget Michael Jackson, the greatest entertainer that ever lived, the selfless humanitarian, the best father ever (Paris Michael Katherine), the brother, the son, the uncle, the cousin,the friend and the International Icon who touched so many lives in his short lived 50 years on this earth. God Bless you MJ and may you live on forever in our hearts and minds. Thank you for the many gifts you left us to cherish and remember you by.
Love,
Jannelle

No comments:

Post a Comment