Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Essence Fest 2009

I was really impressed with the line up of Essence Fest this year. I had always heard great things about the Festival but this was my first time actually attending. I went with a group of friends and we had an awesome time. The performances were phenomenal, the selection of moderators for the daytime events was equally impressive.

It was great to see some performers on the main stage and als
o have the opportunity to see some other performers on a smaller more intimate setting in the suites at the super dome. Although Maxwell was late coming out, he stayed to perform a full set. I'm happy to see his return to the spotlight. I got to see Janelle Monae....a new favorite of mine. This girl gives a phenomenal show. Her energy is incomparable to any other artist I've seen. She has the depth and maturity of someone at least twice her age. Seeing her gave me a renewed optimism for the future of the recording industry.

Ledesi put on a great show in the suites as well. Her flow was just as soulful and inspiring as her album. If you don't have it, go get it. She's gonna be one of those voices that can tend to get lost in the mix. You don't want to sleep on her. Her songs minister to many reoccurring issues of life and love. I find her music soothing and uplifting. I thoroughly enjoyed her performance.

I missed Dwele, which I was sick about but I have seen him perform before. There was so much going on at once. You had an act on the main stage and then 4-5 acts going on simultaneously in the suites. I did get to see Keri Hilson. She's a beauty inside and out. It shows in her approach to her performances. She really made an effort to connect with the crowd and gave energy on stage like a veteran performer. I don't think her current image marketing does her justice. I'm looking forward to watching her blossom as an entertainer once all the push for this catchy pop style of song has subsided. I don't think an artist really comes into their strength of style until their sophomore album sometimes 3rd of 4th.

I saw Ryan Leslie in the suites also. He was a pleasant surprise to me. I had no idea he was so talented. This man could literally be a one man band. I was in awe watching him change from one instrument to the next showcasing his many musical talents. I enjoyed being able to see a side of him that has not been promoted in the industry mainstream. He's established himself as a good writer/producer. I'm anxious to see him break through as a prominent performer.

I chose to focus most of this blog on the performers who were not on the main stage. Yet I have to mention one headlining performer who really touched me. I have never really been a fan of this artist. Most of her loyal fans would probably l
abel me as a hater. But, I just wasn't impressed with her. Even when she first came onto the scene in a group, I always hated the fact that we never/rarely heard from any of the other group members. I thought "why is this chick always hogging the solos"?

I am here to tell you that after seeing Beyonce perform for the first time, I'm now a fan. This woman works...do you hear me? She WORKS, she is not playing with you on stage. I'm not into that alter ego none sense she started but I will acknowledge her drive and thirst to be the BEST seemingly every time she hits a stage no matter how big or small. Even in her greatness as a premier performer, she somehow managed to remain humble. She addressed every section....especially the nose bleed section where I was. She interacted with us and made all of us feel special. More importantly, she thanked us all for coming...repeatedly.

Many of the other artists to grace the main stage did NOT remember to thank the audience or engage us. I appreciated this human quality exhibited by Beyonce. She even sang happy birthday to all the birthday boys and girls in attendance. All of this was nice, but it was her emotional tribute to Michael Jackson that really moved me. She sang a slightly altered version of her popular single "Halo". The song was accompanied by video of Beyonce as a child going to see Michael Jackson perform for the first time. There was also a still photo of Michael in the background.

This is the tribute I wanted and was expecting to see at the the 2009 BET awards. I don't know why it wasn't done there but I am truly thankful that she chose to share it with us at the Essence Fest. Love her or hate her....she's an entertainer at heart. Not many people can do what she does as well as she does. I applaud her for her efforts.

Overall, the Essence Fest seemed to have something for everyone. There was clearly a lot of thought put into the daily program of panel discussions and performances. I don't know that I'll faithfully go every year, but I can say that I will go again and I recommend that any lover of music go at least once in their lifetime.



No comments:

Post a Comment